Being unjust

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Sun Jan 22 23:35:17 EST 2006

Kay Schluehr wrote:
> I'd be interested in what people think about bundling one of the
> diverse Python webframeworks with the Python distribution which will be
> "just there" as like Tcl/Tk+Tkinter for GUI-programming. Its not that I
> don't trust people to make qualified decisions on their own or that I
> actually believe in one single best solution. It's more a symbolic
> action of bundling forces and attention.

I'm coming in a little late here, but I'll say that I don't think this
makes any sense at this time.  The Python web framework world this year
looks totally different from what it looked like last year.  It might
be another year before Python 2.5 comes out.  And who knows how long
after that for the next release.  That development timeframe doesn't
match up at all.  Not just kind of doesn't match up, but isn't even
vaguely close.

WSGI is stable, and perhaps some things directly related to that could
go in.  A WSGI HTTP server (probably based on SimpleHTTPServer) could
go in.  Maybe also a CGI version, maybe a forking version, maybe even
FastCGI and SCGI.  That wouldn't be bad, but it won't be a great
benefit either.  Normal people don't program directly to WSGI.  So the
person has to install other libraries to get by, at which point they
might as well install the HTTP and other servers too.

easy_install helps make it viable to install lots of things, and the
benefits from that model extend well beyond web frameworks, and lets
people work on their own timescale instead of relying on the
understandably slow release schedule of Python itself.  I think the
standard library is only appropriate for solved problems, where the
area is well understood.  Just look at how much time it took to get
decimal and datetime in, both of which cover *very* well understood
areas.

  Ian