Help me in this please--is Python the answer?

Ray ray_usenet at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 12 08:36:49 EST 2006

Hi Ed,

Ed Singleton wrote:
> Personally I have found that if you need to sell a technology on,
> saying it's written in Java is an advantage generally (because "it's a
> standard").  If it's written in Python you may get asked why it has
> been written in a "scripting language" if they've heard of it at all.

Yes, I agree. Especially with those cover-my-ass types in big
institutions who'd only go for things that have the word "Enterprise"
on it :)

> exactly the same tools as them, so you have to choose better tools.
> Almost by definition, the tools that the majority are using are NOT
> the best tools for the job.  If I were you I'd definitely choose
> Python, if only because everyone else is not using it yet.

Yes, that was what I was thinking. Fast development cycle and ability
to embrace change is crucial here. I do feel the way Java is getting in
the way of my coding even after using Python for small personal
projects.

But then on the other hand, there is a manpower problem--it's damn easy
to find a Java programmer (although the quality that you get is a
different matter). Python programmers are more difficult.

> If I were you I'd concentrate on creating a website that actually
> works.  Your chances of creating a website that needs to scale to be
> 'heavyweight' are very slim.  If you manage to get to that point then
> you can start worrying about how to cope with all the money that's
> rolling in ;)

You know what, this is a very good point :))

> AFAIAA Python scales better than Java as any performance critical
> parts can be easily rewritten in C.  To spend too much time worrying
> over it is premature optimisation though.

Yes, but this is more of a web application though--something that I've
never developed in Python before, so... I'll be evaluating Django
shortly--let me see how it compares to Tomcat.

> > (I'd love to develop in Python and get paid for it finally, but at the
> > same time I do want to give the money guy the best value for his
> > money...)
>
> The only thing you really need to be happy is to find something you
> enjoy doing and to do it.  Money is definitely secondary to that.  If
> you have a chance to be paid for working in Python, then go for it;
> even if you fail, you will have spent your days in a happy state.

Yeah, I have the chance to do that if I manage to get this through, but
at the same time I do want to give the guy who funds us the best value
possible for his money. (If--If--it means I have to use J2EE, I will do
it.)

Thanks,
Ray