beta.python.org content

Michael Tobis mtobis at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 21:09:34 EST 2006

I like the design, though I'd prefer stronger colors. I think it would
be a major improvement except for the logo.

I agree with others that the logo is a serious disappointment. Although
the symmetry has some initial appeal, I do not see or want to see a
two-ness about Python, and I find it disturbing and distracting even
without the vague cruciform aspects. In fact, just keeping the top
snake would be MUCH better.

I want a logo I can be as enthusiastic about as I am about the
language, but it will be hard to get unanimity about that, and I can
certainly see the need to compromise. Still it's my impression that
this one is a big mistake. Unlike, say, the Sun logo which I enjoy
looking at (and of which this is a cheap ripoff), this is like the
Microsoft Office logo, which I find explicitly off-putting, raising
negative associations. I might be convinced that its wrongness will
outweigh all the remaining benefits of the redesign.

Good: http://cswww.essex.ac.uk/PLANET/summer-school-02/sun-logo-new.GIF

Makes you think of cleverness, symmetry, networking, collaboration,
energy. It reinforces my positive feelings toward this company.

Bad: http://www.genbeta.com/archivos/images/logo_office_2003.jpg

Makes you think about petty politics, imbalance, who gets the window
office, injustice, asymmetry, deformity. I detest this logo, and it
reinforces my avoidance of this company.

Bad: http://beta.python.org/images/python-logo.gif

Nice font on the text, but the image raises:

What is that animal? Is it a snake? If it is, why is it so short? Why
are there two of them? Or is it one snake with two heads? Ewww. Why is
one facing backwards and the other upside-down? Is that a crucifix? Why
would someone make a cross out of snakes? These are people to avoid.

Very unsatisfactory, sorry.

mt