OT: introduction to computing clusters?

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Fri Jan 20 11:08:01 EST 2006

In article <mailman.838.1137765318.27775.python-list at python.org>,
 <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

>Sorry for the off-topic post, but I know of no better collection of brains
>than this one.  I'm starting to investigate clustering as a means to address
>some growing computing needs at work, but know essentially zip about the
>concept.  If you know of a good introduction to computing clusters (Linux or
>Solaris would be the software environment), I'd appreciate a reference.
			.
			.
			.
Bring back VMS.

Skip, do you do AIM or similar?  Maybe we should chat ...

The first step I recommend is to be clear on the benefits
you're targetting.  For you, is clustering about
A.  HPC
B.  reliability
C.  server consolidation
D.  manageability
...?

My answer, therefore:  it depends.  There *is* good writing on
clustering, but I've ignored it for over a year, and before I
catch up, I'd want to have a clear notion of your goals.