Spiritual Programming (OT, but Python-inspired)

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Tue Jan 3 18:27:25 EST 2006

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 19:05:04 -0500, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> I don't dare ask where your evidence for this hypothesis is, but I will
> ask what are your reasons for imagining this? What is the chain of
> thought that leads from:
>
> Step 1: We live in a temporal world.
>
> to:
>
> Step N: Our ghost/soul must therefore live in a timeless state.

I can throw in some historical evidence against (assuming you accept the
Gospels as historical, that is - at least they are documents).  Christian
doctrine paraphrased in the programming mindset is that this temporal
world will be rebooted - destroyed and replaced with a "new heavens and
new earth".  The new earth will have time, but is purged of all evil.  The
goal of Christian practice is to cooperate with God as He cleans the
wickedness out of our souls so that we can inhabit the new creation.  The
cleaning experience is not always pleasant.  Taking a hard objective look
at the "goodness" of your behaviour can be humbling and embarrassing.