[ANN] pycdio 0.10 - Python to CD reading and control (via libcdio)

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Wed Jan 25 14:47:31 EST 2006

pycdio is a Python interface to the CD Input and Control library
(libcdio).  You can get the source at the same place as libcdio:
  ftp://ftp.gnu.org:/pub/gnu/libcdio/pycdio-0.10.tar.gz

The pycdio and libcdio libraries encapsulate CD-ROM reading and
control. Python programs wishing to be oblivious of the OS- and
device-dependent properties of a CD-ROM can use this library.

libcdio is rather large and yet may still grow a bit. (UDF support in
libcdio may be on the horizon.)

What is in pycdio is incomplete; over time it may grow to completion
depending on various factors: e.g. interest, whether others help
out, etc.

Some of the incompleteness is due to my lack of understanding of how
to get SWIG to accomplish wrapping various return values. If you know
how to do better, please let me know. Likewise suggestions on how to
improve classes or Python interaction are more than welcome.

Sections of libcdio that are currently missing are the (SCSI) MMC
commands, the cdparanoia library, CD-Text handling and the entire
ISO-9660 library. Of the audio controls, I put in those things that
didn't require any thought.

That said, what's in there is very usable (It contains probably more
access capabilities than what most media players that don't use
libcdio have :-).

Stand-alone documentation is missing although most (all?) of the
methods, classes, modules and functions have some document
strings. See also the programs in the example directory, which
includes for example a program to play a CD using audio CD controls.

I've tested this on GNU/Linux and Solaris and it comes with some basic
regression tests. On cygwin things build but you will need a libcdio
DLL's which is not built by default.