Newbie with some doubts.

Claudio Grondi claudio.grondi at freenet.de
Sat Jan 7 17:34:46 EST 2006

Edgar A. Rodriguez wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Im newbie to Python (I found it three weeks ago) , in fact Im newbie to
> programming. I'm being reading and training with the language, but I
> still wondering about what Classes are used to. Could you please give
> me some examples??
>
> Thanks.

I don't know any really good examples which were able to demonstrate
what Classes are good for and I am in programming already for decades.
There is actually no real need for usage of Classes. The notion, that
they could be useful comes eventually with longer programming experience
and/or with growing size of the code library. If you can avoid to learn
about them, at least at the beginning, take the chance - it will save
you much trouble and help to get things done. I for myself try to avoid
classes where I can, especially inheritance, because I consider the
latter in most cases evil. There are sure many others who can't imagin
to program without classes, so don't conclude that there is a
contradiction here - it's just the question of taste and not of
necessity. I suggest, you learn as much as you can about a list and a
dictionary first and if you have got the idea how to use the latter, you
have learned more or less also what a Class is.

Claudio