New Python.org website ?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Jan 19 11:10:59 EST 2006

Tim Parkin wrote:

> >you're complaining about the lack of manpower, and still think that lowering
> >the threshold for contributions is not a priority ?  at this point, this should
> >be your *only* priority.
>
> If you want to contribute, then do so...

so make it easy to contribute.  I'm sure the project sponsors (PSF?) would
be willing to wait a little longer if the site had good support for distributed
maintenance from the start.

> >>Once the new documentation site is up and running, that is :-)
> >
> >that's an interesting comparision: it took me about 30 minutes to convert
> >10+ megabytes of reference material into a usable (X)HTML infoset (that
> >is, with isolated content and structural information derived from the source
> >material), and a few hours to get old source->new source->render tool-
> >chain to a state where most conversion bugs turns out to be typos in the
> >original documents (aka "the 80% of the remaining 20%" level).
> >
> >if converting the old content is and has been the biggest problem in the
> >beta.python.org project, it seems to me as if you might not be doing things
> >in the easiest possible way...
> >
> Good and congratulations, it shows that the source code is well
> formatted/consistent - I wish the rest of the website html/data were so.
> If you are suggesting that your skills can do this with the rest of the
> site content then please, please help!!
>
> In fact I will ask you now, publicly, if you are willing to offer your
> services to help convert the documentation and exsiting content over to
> the new website?

to what target environment?  a wiki?  sure.  the current homebrewn solution?
probably not; way too much new technology to learn, and absolutely nothing
that I'm likely to end up using in any other context.

</F>