pdb.py - why is this debugger different from all other debuggers?

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 17:59:34 EST 2006

R. Bernstein wrote:

> Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> suggests:
>> You may want to try out ipython (the current release candidate from
>> http://ipython.scipy.org/dist/testing/, which has many improvements on this
>> front).  The %pdb magic will trigger automatic activation of pdb at any
>> uncaught exception, and '%run -d' will run your script under the control of
>> pdb, without any modifications to your source necessary.
>
> I really like ipython. Many thanks for writing it!

Glad to hear that :)  Version 0.7.0 coming out tomorrow...

> And, as you say, it does have many many useful improvements over
> python's default interpreter shell, including the ability to call the
> debugger minimal fuss.
>
> But ipython it doesn't obviate the need for a better or more complete
> or more one that more closely follows conventional debugger command
> syntax.

No, certainly not.  I hope I didn't convey that in my message, I was just
hoping to provide a partial solution, but one which at least exists today.

I agree that the OP's suggestions would be all worthwhile improvements to pdb;
in particular, I think that following established convention on command-line
debugger interfaces is a good idea.  Both lowering the mental barrier for new
users of pdb who come with a background in other tools, and easing the
integration into debugger-controller tools, are very valid points.

Cheers,