Python vs C for a mail server

Jim Segrave jes at nl.demon.net
Sun Jan 29 15:06:03 EST 2006

In article <mailman.1189.1138521011.27775.python-list at python.org>,
Dan Lowe  <dan at tangledhelix.com> wrote:

>On Jan 28, 2006, at 8:39 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 18:03:56 +1100, Steven D'Aprano said:
>>>
>>> Google is your friend. The first four mail servers listed are, in
>>> order:
>>>
>>> sendmail
>>> postfix
>>> Microsoft Exchange
>>> qmail
>>>
>> 	Dig a bit deeper, and exim might be a candidate for the list. I'm
>> pretty sure O'Reilly has books for sendmail, postfix, and exim; don't
>> know about qmail.
>
>O'Reilly does have an Exim book, but it is out of date. It covers the
>3.x family, while 4.x has been out for quite a while now. The 4.x
>family is very different from 3.x, so the book isn't worth a whole
>lot these days.
>
>I'm on my second major mail system deployment built around Exim, and
>would recommend it to anybody needing a robust, flexible mail server.

There is an exim 4 book out, but not via O'Reilly - I gather sales
were insufficient to persuade O'Reilly to do an update. As we use Exim
heavily, we have both the 3 and 4 books in our NOC, as well as sending
almost all new staff to Phil Hazel's excellent courses in Cambridge.

--
Jim Segrave           (jes at jes-2.demon.nl)