Programming Eclipse plugins in Jython?

Fabio Zadrozny fabioz at esss.com.br
Thu Jan 12 04:55:11 EST 2006

Kenneth McDonald wrote:

>Is it easy or difficult to implement Eclipse plugins in Jython? And
>if the former, are there any starter's guides you could recommend?
>
>The desire is an editor plugin for a syntactically very simple
>proprietary language. I'd like to have paren checking, syntax
>colorization and (to start with at least) a few other small features.
>Unfortunately, there's quite a hump in learning the Eclipse API well
>enough to do even simple things (or at least that's what my reading
>seems to indicate), and I was wondering if I can cheat and use Jython
>to simplify the process.
>
>Thanks,
>Ken

Hi Kenneth,

Basically, you will NEED to understand the Eclipse API one way or the
other, and jython will not really help you there... -- I know... been
there :-)

But after you're able to grasp its concepts, you can probably use it
without problems... Altough you'll have to extend the same java
interfaces Eclipse provides anyway ;-)

Cheers,

Fabio