Calling GPL code from a Python application

Wed Jan 4 02:01:45 EST 2006

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 14:57:58 +1100, Tim Churches wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVETHIScyber.com.au> wrote:
>> In particular:
>>
>> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html
>>
>> [quote]
>>
>> Q: If a library is released under the GPL (not the LGPL), does that mean
>> that any program which uses it has to be under the GPL?
>>
>> A: Yes, because the program as it is actually run includes the library.
>>
>> [end quote]
>
> Yes, but the rather fundamental problem with the FSF position above being the following words as contained in the GPL itself:
>
> Section 0., Para 1 (assuming zero-based paragraph numbering...):
>
> "Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not
> covered by this License; they are outside its scope. The act of running
> the Program is not restricted,..."
>
> Sorry, but "Yes, because the program as it is actually run includes the library." is incompatible with "Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not covered by this License; they are outside its scope. The act of running the Program is not restricted."

Tim,

Firstly, perhaps you could use a mail/news client that correctly limits
lines to (say) 72 characters, that would make it a lot easier to read your
comments.

Secondly, perhaps you should consider that dynamically linking to a work
is creating a derivative work, which most certainly falls under the
"modification" clause.

Thirdly, I don't think it is particularly helpful for people to go hunting
through licences -- whether the GPL or a restrictive, commercial,
closed-source we-own-your-first-born licence -- looking for loop-holes.
Not only is it immoral and unethical, but it is also dangerous: it is easy
to think you have found a loop-hole only to discover that the judge
disagrees.

--
Steven.