a more precise re for email addys

Steven D'Aprano steve at REMOVEMEcyber.com.au
Wed Jan 18 23:21:50 EST 2006

skip at pobox.com wrote:
>     rbt> re.compile('([\w\.\-]+@[\w\.\-]+)')
>     rbt> re.compile(r'[\w\-][\w\-\.]+@[\w\-][\w\-\.]+[a-zA-Z]{1,4}')
>     rbt> re.compile('(\S+)@(\S+)')
>
>     rbt> All of these will find email addys, but they also find other
>     rbt> things.
>
> I think the only way to decide if your regular expression does what you want
> is to provide a set of strings it must accept and another set which it must
> reject.  Supply those two sets and I'm sure any number of people here can
> come up with a regular express that distinguishes the two sets.

Doesn't the relevent RFC state that the only way to
determine a valid email address is to send to it and
see if the mail server likes it?

I believe it explicitly warns against validating email
addresses, since you will invariably end up refusing to
accept some valid email addresses.

--
Steven.