ConfigParser: writes a list but reads a string?

Jeffrey Barish jeff_barish at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 22 13:20:52 EST 2006

funkyj wrote:

> making the config file XML and using xml.dom is another option,
> although XML is a bit ugly to edit by hand.
>   --jfc

I am seriously intrigued by ConfigObj.  I am currently using an crude
improvisation involving tab-delimited fields to store metadata for
recordings -- not configuration data -- in text files.  I had been planning
to convert to XML, but now I am wondering whether ConfigObj would be
easier.  I would like for the metadata files to be editable, but editing
does not have to be easy as it needs to be done rarely.  I've never used
XML, so I am wondering whether there are other tradeoffs between that
approach and ConfigObj that I should be aware of.  I was thinking of XML
mainly to have a more robust format.  For example, it would be nice if it
were possible to add fields without obsoleting early versions of the
reader.  Crossplatform compatibility is also desirable.
--
Jeffrey Barish