Calling GPL code from a Python application

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Wed Jan 4 03:13:13 EST 2006

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 08:26:43 +0100
Heiko Wundram <modelnine at bit-bukket.org> wrote:
> You're nitpicking here, if I may say so. Of course, if you
> create the derivative work inside your head, you're not
> going to distribute it and as such the GPL distribution
> clauses don't apply. But: as soon as you write a program,
> even for inhouse use (and not distributing it externally),
> which will be the norm for a programmer like the OP,
> you're bound to the distribution laws of the GPL.

This is basically bunk. Internally "distributing" the
software (as in making copies within the organization that
created it, or between your disk and RAM, or whatever) is
NOT "distribution" under the law.  That's all pretty much
"fair use", and the FSF says as much.

There *has* been a suggestion to add language to GPL 3 to
attempt to restrict such in-house "distribution", but not in
the existing GPL 2.

It is because of this detail that Google has not been
required to release a large amount of their software (which
is based in many cases on GPL'd software, IIRC).  A number
of ideas for attacking this kind of use of the GPL in future
versions. And of course, opinion is somewhat divided on
whether that's an "abuse" or just a natural exercise of
"freedom 0".

Given that Google has been using this fact extensively, and
they have not been sued over it, I think it's a fairly
clearly established interpretation, whether it is popular or
not (but of course it's not a legal precedent until somebody
does sue and loses).