Problem with odbc (pywin32) and unicode

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Fri Jan 27 10:41:29 EST 2006

> Unicode is one of those grey areas that I know I will have to try to
> understand one day, but I am putting off that day as long as possible!

I suggest you better start right away instead of stumbling over it all the
time. The most problems in that field don't come from the inherent
complexity of the matter itself, but form the profound lack of
understanding of developers thereof - worldwide, btw. You are not alone, as
Mr. Jackson sang...

> When you say it causes trouble internally, do you mean internal to the
> odbc module? Is it something that should be reported as a bug?

Not sure, but I guess: yes.

> What should I do in the meantime? Make encode("utf-8") a permanent
> feature of my program?

You should do it in a way that allows you to either pass the encoding
explicitly, or make it some sort of configurable thing, in the same spot
where you configure your connection settings, as these two are related.

Diez