[OT] How can I change Debian's default Python version?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Thu Jan 5 18:50:47 EST 2006

Nick Craig-Wood schrieb:
> Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> As of this time, the Debian wxPython packages are only provided for
>> Python 2.3.  I couldn't tell you why. Try looking at the bug list
>> for python-wxgtk2.6. I'm sure there's a bug filed against it asking
>> for a Python 2.4 version. Perhaps the maintainer has explained why
>> there is no such version yet.

Its a mistake of mine, see below.

> Debian have yet to pull their finger out and switch to Python 2.4 as
> the default python even 2 years and 2 months after its initial
> release!
>
> I personally find that quite frustrating since debian is my OS of
> choice. (Yes, becoming a Debian developer is on my todo list along
> with spend less time at the computer and more with the children ;-)
>
> However ubuntu, which is debian/unstable packaged up for end users, is
> committed to python, and hence has python2.4 and all its packages.

No wonder because of Mark Shuttleworth being its supporter - one great
guy he is :)

> There is nothing to stop you using ubuntu's python packages with
> careful use of apt preferences and sources.list.  Or you can swap to
> ubuntu completely using apt-get!

I have to admit that I did in fact check that wxgtk2.6 on my new kubuntu
machine at work. I was under the impression that they are _very_ similar
to debian, so that the packages existed for both.

Back at home (and after reading this), I checked that the wx is really
not available for 2.4. Sorry to cause confusion here.

But then I guess Franz is on his own with this - the copying stuff won't
work, that still _is_ true.

I wonder if he'd be able to make the packages work using apt-get source,
but that isn beyond my knowledge.

I can also only second your opinion about (k)ubuntu: its great. I just
installed it for my 72 year old dead :) And it was the only thing that I
could get to run on my dell gx620 - as the debian installer uses a
pre-2.6.12 kernel (2.6.8 I think) that puts the SATA-drives under the
/dev/hd* devices (and needed the compatibility-mode enabled in the bios)
- but then the 2.6.12 gets installed, and the HDs are /dev/sd*, and no
compatibility mode is  required. Try to boot that... Made my balding
head lose some more hairs.

Regards,

Diez