- E04 - Leadership! Google, Guido van Rossum, PSF

Anton Vredegoor anton.vredegoor at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 12:24:51 EST 2006

Armin Rigo wrote:

>  We have some procedure now for funding
> travel costs, although it's admittedly very bureaucratic :-(

Since next sprint is in Palma de Mallorca I trust I can count on PyPy
to refund me the money?

> Anyway, independently of this, there are some people we are happy to see
> come back again and again to PyPy sprints even though we know their budget
> is extremely limited.  We have always arranged things for them to minimize
> the costs.  It's nothing like a "congress" where you have to pay XXX/day
> for having water and cake brought to the tables by the staff at 10am.  I
> can certainly say that attending a PyPy sprint is not expensive at all;
> I'd expect the major problem to be rather to find a week's free time for
> it.

There seems to have been a relatively inexpensive sprint in Heidelberg.
So yes sometimes PyPy sprints can be inexpensive. But the associated
costs if one has to rent a room in a hotel would still make it
impossible for me to attend. What prompted me to cluster PyPy sprints
with the expensive stuff was this sprint:

http://www.trillke.net/images/HomePagePictureSmall.jpg

Although I can't find pricing info now, I believe that at the time I
considered the costs involved with the rent of the meeting place
exorbitant.

> On the bureaucratic side: Alex, we *have* a procedure at this point, and
> we have been trying to contact you several time in the past months -- with
> no success as far as I know, so I'll try via comp.lang.python this time
> :-)  If you still feel like seeing your money back in exchange for some
> papers to fill and sign, please show up...

Maybe Mr Martelli will ease his conscience (it's hard to see how it
would not bother him to refuse to pick up checks while his opponents
barely have enough to feed themselves) by donating the money to me, so
that I might increase my efforts to squelch any remaining trace of
elitism at google.

Anton

"I'd even look into PyPy sprint options at Maastricht, so you'd get
extra value for your money"