Is 'everything' a refrence or isn't it?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Jan 4 18:00:39 EST 2006

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Python does not have references or pointers, except internally where
> Python coders can not get to them. It has names and objects. Keep thinking
> about "call by reference" and you just confuse yourself and others. Think
> about names and objects and it is simple and straight-forward.

I won't argue the point, but I would point out that the term "name" is
insufficient for whatever it is that is stored inside a list.

What do you call it, if not a reference?  The word "binding" isn't
really appropriate here, as it is easily confused with the operation of
binding (i.e. usually what assignment does).

-Peter