Arithmetic sequences in Python

Hans Nowak hans at zephyrfalcon.org
Thu Jan 19 11:59:02 EST 2006

Alex Martelli wrote:

> Do YOU have any good reason why
> sets should print out as set(...) and lists should NOT print out as
> list(...)?  Is 'list' somehow "deeper" than 'set', to deserve a special
> display-form syntax which 'set' doesn't get?  Or are you enshrining a
> historical accident to the level of an erroneously assumed principle?

(I haven't been following this thread much, so I can't tell if you're
actually arguing for this change, or that you are just playing devil's
advocate...)

I would have liked to say that lists are a fundamental data type, much
more so than a set... but in reality that seems to be a matter of taste
and priorities.  Pascal, for example, has a set literal, but no list
literal; in fact, it doesn't even have a built-in list type.

--
Hans Nowak
http://zephyrfalcon.org/