Who is www.python.org for? (was Re: New Python.org website ?)

Magnus Lycka lycka at carmen.se
Mon Jan 23 08:41:08 EST 2006

Roy Smith wrote:
> For the most part, I agree with Terry; I want a site that gives me the info
> I need without any fluff getting in the way.  But, at the same time, I
> realize that there is a need for marketing to suits.

I'll leave layout to others, but content-wise, I don't think this
is very difficult. A "Python is"-blurb with current buzzwords, (I
guess that could be autogenerated by some bot that extracts buzz-
words from the net ;) a few quotes (we have that) and links to
success stories. Both to http://www.pythonology.org/success and
to O'Reilly's both publications:
http://python.oreilly.com/news/python_success_stories.pdf
and http://python.oreilly.com/news/PythonSS.pdf
Adorn the O'Reilly links with images depicting the covers
of those booklets. (I'm sure it's fairly simple to extract
the covers from the PDF's to .png files.)

In general, I think it's a good idea to avoid producing content
that's already out there. Use the resources on the internet.
Sure, it means that we're not quite in control, but I'm sure it's
much less work to maintain some links than to create a lot of
content and keep that up-to-date. It also adds credibility to
show that we have such a wide support from third parties such as
the publishing houses and companies like Google etc.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of what's in the web site today could
be in the wiki, such as the topic guides and SIG pages.

For documentation, I'd put a prominent link to Amazon's page for
"Books > Subjects > Computers & Internet > Programming > Languages &
Tools > Python" besides the standard documentation and a wiki page
were the community can maintain links to on-line tutorials etc.