Using non-ascii symbols

Dave Hansen iddw at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 24 16:58:35 EST 2006

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 08:26:16 +1100 in comp.lang.python, Steven
D'Aprano <steve at REMOVETHIScyber.com.au> wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:38:56 -0600, Dave Hansen wrote:
>
>> The latter, IMHO.  Especially variable names.  Consider i vs. ì vs. í
>> vs. î vs. ï vs. ...
>
>Agreed, but that's the programmer's fault for choosing stupid variable
>names. (One character names are almost always a bad idea. Names which can
>be easily misread are always a bad idea.) Consider how easy it is to

I wasn't necessarily expecting single-character names.  Indeed, the
different between i and ì is easier to see than the difference
between, say, long_variable_name and long_varìable_name.  For me,
anyway.

>shoot yourself in the foot with plain ASCII:
>

>l1 = 0
>l2 = 4
>pages of code
>assert 11 + l2 = 4

You've shot yourself twice, there.  Python would tell you about the
second error, though.

Regards,
                                        -=Dave

--