how to test for a dependency

Sybren Stuvel sybrenUSE at YOURthirdtower.com.imagination
Mon Jan 9 16:46:31 EST 2006

Darren Dale enlightened us with:
> I would like to test that latex is installed on a windows, mac or linux
> machine. What is the best way to do this? This should work:
>
> if os.system('latex -v'):
>     print 'please install latex'

The downside is that you can only use this to test by executing.
Perhaps it would be better to make a function that can search the PATH
environment variable in a cross-platform way. Also make sure you
include any platform-specific executable postfixes like Window's
".exe".

Sybren
                                             Frank Zappa