Can't compile

Layne Meier lmeier at ajc.com
Thu Jan 12 08:51:35 EST 2006

I am having a problem trying to get Python 2.4.2 to compile on my Sun
Solaris 10 system.  I've even tried adding CC=gcc to the configure file
or even tried running the command ./configure --with-gcc

This is what is happening:

MAILBOT:root:8:Python-2.4.2:# ./configure
checking MACHDEP... sunos5
checking EXTRAPLATDIR...
checking for --without-gcc... no
checking for --with-cxx=<compiler>... no
checking for c++... c++
checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.out
checking whether the C++ compiler works... configure: error: cannot run
C++ compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
See `config.log' for more details.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Layne Meier
Atlanta, GA