Accessing Windows file metadata?

Roger Upole rupole at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 11 19:37:46 EST 2006

The Pywin32 package wraps the interfaces used to read and
write these properties. \win32com\test\testStorage.py demonstrates
how to use them.

There are actually two different ways that metadata is stored.
For structured storage files created by COM applications, it's
embedded directly in the file data.  This would change the file's hash
if the document properties were changed.  On volumes formatted
with NTFS 5 (Win2k and later), document properties can be added
to any type of file and are stored in alternate data streams.

  hth
        Roger