application and web app technologies

Matt Garrish matthew.garrish at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 2 14:42:42 EST 2006

<cartercc at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1136226294.170886.159690 at z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> January, 2006.
>
> * OO Perl/Perl6 -- Perl has worked real well for us, but we have
> doubts that it is the best technology, and we want to make a serious
> attempt to look at other things.

It might help if you elaborated on what these "doubts" are. It doesn't sound
like you know any of the languages you've listed and are hoping that somehow
you'll find one magical beast by cross-posting to a bunch of groups. I don't
expect you're going to have much luck.

The fact that you list Perl 6 shows you aren't following Perl's development
very closely. Perl 6 is not on the near horizon, and even as an avid Perl
enthusiast I'd say you'd have to be insane to jump on it for production use
as soon as it is.

That said, Perl is still one of the best choices for both Web and admin
scripting, and I don't see that you'd gain anything by rewriting all of your
existing code to Ruby or Python just for the sake of saying you now use Ruby
or Python (not that there's anything wrong with either, but why rewrite code
for the sake of rewriting it?). If you wrote terrible and unreadable Perl
code, what's really going to stop you from writing terrible and unreadable
Ruby and Python code? That's more a statement on your programmers and lack
of in-house style than the language.

C# isn't too bad for Web scripting and quick GUIs, but I've never used it
for admin scripting and the downside is that it takes a lot of effort to do
tasks in .Net that are simple in Perl/Python/Ruby (particularly database
work). I wouldn't use C/C++ for the web, but there's nothing stopping you.

Matt