SPE [was: Wingide is a beautiful application]

Sybren Stuvel sybrenUSE at YOURthirdtower.com.imagination
Sun Jan 15 08:43:05 EST 2006

SPE - Stani's Python Editor enlightened us with:
> This is a misinterpretation, SPE failed because of something else.
> (As would have become clear if you would have run SPE in the
> debugging mode 'python SPE.py --debug'.)

IMO displayed messages should be clear without having to resort to a
debugging mode. Debugging mode should only be for removing bugs, not
for enlightenment of the user.

Anyway, apt-getting spe now... which doesn't work:

Unpacking python-wxversion (from .../python-wxversion_2.6.1.1.1ubuntu2_all.deb)
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/python-wxversion_2.6.1.1.1ubuntu2 _all.deb
(--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wxversion.py',
 which is also in package wxpython2.5.3

If it's so hard to get the requirements installed, I'd rather stick to
Vim.

> I adapted SPE such that it can ran out of the box of an archive (zip
> or tar.gz). This has the advantage that Linux (but also Mac and
> Windows) don't have to install SPE anymore but can just run it out
> of a folder or USB stick, provided the right version of wxPython
> (2.6) is installed on the system as it is always the case with
> Ubuntu boxes.

Ehm... I think I've clearly shown that, at least as far as the Ubuntu
packages go, not all requirements are always there on an Ubuntu
system.

> If it doesn't work, let me know privately.

Why? What's wrong with this newsgroup?

Sybren
                                             Frank Zappa