PyXML: SAX vs. DOM

Ivan Herman ivan at ivan-herman.net
Sat Jan 21 07:48:14 EST 2006

-------- Original Message --------
From: Matthias Kaeppler <void at void.com>
Subject: Re:PyXML: SAX vs. DOM
Date: 20/1/2006 21:26

> Oh and:
> Where can I find an API reference for PyXML? Am I supposed to /guess/
> which methods and attributes e.g. Sax2 supplies? :D
>
> Thanks again,
> Matthias

Matthias,

your question is valid, and I just tell you how *I* do it...

- the core of the methods in DOM are described by the W3C recommendations. I
think the most relevant ones are:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-DOM-Level-2-Core-20001113/
  http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-DOM-Level-2-Core-20001113/core.html

where you can find all objects and methods that are defined by DOM Level 2 and,
as far as I could see, all properly implemented by PyXML.

The only caveat is that DOM2 defines the interface in abstract (more exactly, in
IDL), and one has to know (or guess) how those are mapped onto Python. Having
said that, by looking at the PyXML documentation:

  http://pyxml.sourceforge.net/topics/howto/

mainly

  http://pyxml.sourceforge.net/topics/howto/section-DOM.html

one can do a very good educated guess so it is not sooo bad as it sounds.

I know this is not the ideal answer, but maybe it helps...

Ivan