OT: Re: Using non-ascii symbols

Magnus Lycka lycka at carmen.se
Sun Jan 29 11:48:57 EST 2006

Runsun Pan wrote:
> The simplified chinese exists due to the call for modernization of
> language decades ago. That involved the 'upside-down' of almost
> entire culture
This is in some ways quite the opposite compared to Nynorsk
in Norway, which was an attempt to revive the old and pure
Norwegian, after being dominated (in politics as well as in
grammar) by Denmark from 1387-1814. (I guess it was a
complicating factor that the end of the union with Denmark
led to a union with Sweden. The Norwegians probably had some
difficulties deciding what neighbour they disliked most. When
they broke out of the union with Sweden in 1905, they actually
elected a Danish prince to be their king.) Anyway, only a
fraction of the Norwegians use Nynorsk today, and the majority
still speak the Danish-based bokmål. On the other hand, the
spelling of bokmål has also been modernized a lot, with a
series of spelling reforms of both languages.