VB to Python migration

Josh josh-post at istedconsulting.com
Fri Jan 27 18:48:51 EST 2006

We have a program written in VB6 (over 100,000 lines of code and 230 UI
screens) that we want to get out of VB and into a better language. The
program is over 10 years old and has already been ported from VB3 to
VB6, a job which took over two years. We would like to port it to
Python, but we need to continue to offer upgrades and fixes to the
current VB6 version. Does anybody know of ways we could go about
rewriting this, one screen at a time, in Python, and calling the screens
from the existing program?

We are also looking for a graphics toolkit to use. IronPython with it's
.NET bindings and ability to integrate with Visual Studio looks good,
but leaves that bad MS taste in the mouth.

We currently use a MS Access back end and need to migrate to a proper
SQL server. We need to leave options open for SQL Server (for customers
who want to use existing infrastructure) and something like MySQL or
PostgreSQL. But in the mean time, we need to be able to access an
MSAccess (Jet) database from Python.

Any answers/suggestions/pointers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh Isted