On Numbers

Steven D'Aprano steve at REMOVEMEcyber.com.au
Mon Jan 16 21:40:08 EST 2006

Tom Anderson wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006, Alex Martelli wrote:
>
>> Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

>>> 2+3j?
>>

>> Good point, so s/reals/complex numbers/ -- except for this "detail",
>> Mike's idea do seem well founded.
>

> 1 ** 0.5 ?

[scratches head]

I'm not sure what point you are making here.

The square root of 1 is +1 (the negative root being
explicitly rejected). Pure mathematicians, who may be
expected to care whether the root is the integer 1 or
the real number 1, are unlikely to write 1**0.5,
prefering the squareroot symbol.

For the rest of us, including applied mathematicians,
1**0.5 implies floating point, which implies the
correct answer is 1.0.

So I don't really know what point you are making. What
solution(s) for 1**0.5 were you expecting?

--
Steven.