beta.python.org content

robin escalation746 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 30 23:02:54 EST 2006

Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:

>How does
>
>   http://beta.python.org/about/beginners/
>
>look?

There are several things wrong with the interface.

First, I count seven ways of formatting a link. This is approximately
five too many and can be fixed as follows.

"For Beginners" is italicised, supposedly to indicate it is the page
we are currently on. This overloads the normal expected meaning of
italics with something unexpected. And what is the point of a link to
the current page? This should be plain text.

"About" is a top-level menu which has been expanded; to indicate this
there is a yellow bar. This is not necessary since the viewer can see
the menu is expanded. :-)

The menu items underneath an expanded heading should be in the same
format, but offset. Same format says "menu"; offset says "child."

The last menu items are in different formats yet again (typeface and
size). I see no reason for this.

Once this has been done there will be but two different ways of
formatting a link: a menu and a link in the page body.

In terms of page space, the horizontal bar at the top seems wasted.
Perhaps the vertical bar is all that is needed? The other elements
could be relocated.

The menu is structured with a list and formatted with CSS. Good!

Given that there is already a hierarchical organisation of the content
voa the collapsing menu bar, I do not think that another
representation of this is required above the main page text. I would
ditch the link trail.

Overall, the look is very "safe corporate". I myself would have gone
for a funkier (though still elegant) look. The energy of the Python
community is not being communicated. The vim of the language is
diluted. This is not playing to Python's strengths.

Yes, i have been known to do this for a living. Had I been aware
earlier, I would have been happy to help with the redesign. How can I
now?

P.S. I am not averse to the new logo. It is professional, clean, and
symbolic. Maybe there are more ideal choices but we have to get beyond
little green cartoon snakes eventually.
-----
robin
noisetheatre.blogspot.com