New Python.org website ?

Markus Wankus markus_REMOVEwankusALL_CAPS at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 19 09:16:39 EST 2006

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Tim Parkin wrote:
>
>> How about designing a website and showing us what you think would be a
>> good idea?  Or suggesting some way of managing all of the content and
>> building the system.
>
> I think I just did that:
>
>     the easiest way to get there would be to use a MoinMoin instance to main-
>     tain the content, and a separate renderer to generate static pages for the
>     main site (possibly using Cheetah or Kid as template languages).
>
> to which you responded
>
>     A wiki is not a website and to try to shoehorn a wiki into a content manage-
>     ment system is not a good final goal.
>
> which is an interesting thing to say at a time when "wikipedia" has
> joined "google" and "blog" as the internet things that everyone has
> heard about...

Well I happen to agree whole-heartedly with Tim on that one.  I can't
stand trying to navigate some of these Wiki-trying-to-be-website pages.
  It is impossible to find anything on most of them (notice I didn't say
all..there are exceptions).  It seems like they cater to people who:

a) Get some sort of sick pleasure out of searching webpages by manually
constructing regular expressions.
b) Love the fact that every other word is a link and end up in a 3 hour
link-clinking session until they have visited every link.

Navigating a Wiki to me feels more like trying to find the proverbial
needle in a haystack, or perhaps it is more like painting a wall by
flinging paint at it with a spoon.  But maybe that's just me.  I
sometimes have a compulsion for methodically checking everything in a
sane order.  That's probably just my code review skills, or
dungeon-crawling instincts kicking in.  ;o)

M.