Arithmetic sequences in Python

Xavier Morel xavier.morel at masklinn.net
Tue Jan 17 07:10:49 EST 2006

Paul Rubin wrote:
> I don't think this is a valid objection.  Python is already full of
> syntactic sugar like indentation-based block structure, infix
> operators, statements with keyword-dependent syntax, etc.  It's that
> very sugar that attracts programmers to Python away from comparatively
> sugarless languages like Scheme.  Indeed, Python is considered by many
> to be a sweet language to program in, and they mean that in a nice
> way.
>
> If you want, you can think of it as "flavor" rather than "sugar".  We
> aren't after syntactic minimalism or we'd be using Scheme.  The
> criterion for adding something like this to Python should be whether
> makes the language taste better or not.

I don't know, most of the syntactic sugar I see in Python brings
something to the language, or trivialize the generation of structures
and constructs that may be complex or awkward without it, it has a
natural, honey-ish sweetness full of flavor, it does not taste like some
cancer-spawning artificial sweetener ;-)