Groupkit and python

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Sat Jan 7 21:08:02 EST 2006

In article <1136224937.370021.260380 at g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
jose.r.pacheco at gmail.com <jose.r.pacheco at gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>I've built an app using this great software called groupkit
>(http://www.groupkit.org/) based on tcl/tk language, now I'd like to
>test python possibilities for groupware.  Anyone knows about this, I
>have made a google search; crossing groupkit and python, but I haven´t
>found any project except this one called twisted-python.  Do you
>believe twisted-python could be a substitute for groupkit?.
			.
			.
			.
As I *think* it hasn't appeared in comp.lang.python, I reproduce here
remarks by the Groupkit author in (no longer) private e-mail:

  Twisted offers more of a low-level equivalent to the
  event-driven IO that comes standard in Tcl, plus many
  higher level network protocols on top of that.  It
  doesn't offer a focus on groupware application level
  constructs like session management, awareness, etc.,
  nor am I aware of anything in Python that tries to
  tackle this niche.  If someone were wanting to move
  GroupKit-like features to Python, twisted would be the
  best framework to build upon, but as is, it's missing
  things you'd probably like from GroupKit.