Calling GPL code from a Python application

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Wed Jan 4 17:17:12 EST 2006

Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> writes:
>> Of course, in cases where it matters (i.e. - I provide public
>> access to my legally purchased copy of the Brittanica, or some
>> such), copyrights on things other than the program come into
>> play. Possibly multiple copyrights.
> Huh?

As you pointed out, they're giving out a copy of the *data* from the
program. That data could well come with a different copyright than the
one that applies to the program, so while I may have the right to use
it in the program, I may not have the right to hand it out over the
internet. The mutliple copyrights comes from thinking about songs,
which has seperate copyrights for the lyrics, the tune, and the
arrangement.

        <mike