Does Plone support distinct sets of users in subgroups?

Rene Pijlman reply.in.the.newsgroup at my.address.is.invalid
Sat Feb 18 03:04:43 EST 2006

wheel:
>I'm not sure if this is the right venue for Plone questions, if not,
>could someone ref me to a better one?

The plone-users mailing list. Highly recommended.

>The discussion groups on the plone site are mailing lists and I'd
>rather not subscribe quite yet.

Why not? It's free, takes 1 minute and you can unsubscribe at any time.

>Does plone support distinct sets of users?

Yes. There's a user-group mechanism.
http://plone.org/documentation/tutorial/understanding-permissions/tutorial-all-pages

>That is, on a public website running plone, can it be configured such
>that when a user logs in they are allowed access to a subgroup's main
>page,

That can be done with local roles on the sharing tab. See the link above.

>get the subgroup's newsletter as well as the main site's newsletter etc?

I'm not sure about that. I guess it depends on how you implement the
newsletter. It may require a little customization or programming.

--
René Pijlman