Evil, evil wxPython (and a glimmer of hope)

Fuzzyman fuzzyman at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 06:15:46 EST 2006

vivainio at gmail.com wrote:
> Ben Finney wrote:
>
> > The web content is a bit sparse; fortunately the code has seen more
> > love than the web pages. Wax was the focus of a couple of Google
> > "Summer of Code" projects, and new life seems to have been gained as a
> > result.
>
> I'm glad to hear that, however, I just took a look at the mailing list:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=9696120&forum_id=44351
>
> """
> I am going to take a break from blogging and my personal
> projects.  This includes Wax.  In other words, Wax development will be
> on hold for a while.  During this time, I might still address urgent
> bugs and such, but I don't plan to add new features.
> """
>
> Things like this raise a bit of concern about the survivability of the
> project. I wouldn't mind if it was a relatively independent component
> but it *is* one that is heavily dependent on wxPython...

Wax is certainly currently usable and not at all unstable. It has a
small userbase, but it is used. I'm about to start a couple of projects
with it.

The code is relatively simple - so it would be easy to maintain the
parts you use if that was necessary. Certainly easier than duplicating
it yourself from scratch. :-)

Once you start using Wax, it really is simple and friendly.

All the best,

Fuzzyman