calculating on matrix indices

Brian Blais bblais at bryant.edu
Fri Feb 17 08:30:43 EST 2006

Robert Kern wrote:
> The traceback tells you exactly what's wrong:
>
> In [7]: x[idx] = exp(-t[idx]/tau)
> exceptions.TypeError                                 Traceback (most recent call
> last)

yes, I saw that, but all of the types (i.e. type(x)) came out to be the same, so I
figured the problem was with the indexing, and that was causing a typecast problem.
I didn't know about dtype

> In [13]: x = zeros(len(t), float)

well that is confusing!  zeros(5,'f') is single precision, zeros(5,'d') is double,
and zeros(5,float) is double!  that's where I got whacked, because I remembered that
"float" was "double" in python...but I guess, not always.

thanks for your help!

				bb
--

             bblais at bryant.edu