Determining an operating system's default browser

John McMonagle johnmc at velseis.com.au
Thu Feb 9 18:38:53 EST 2006

Is there a python module which can determine an operating system's
default web browser application.

I would like to use it in the following context:  I have a GUI
application where all the documentation is written as html pages.  I
wish to have these html help pages open in the default browser when
selected from the application's Help menu

If python can determine the path to the default browser, I can then just
spawn it.

Regards,

John McMonagle

believed to be clean.