New editions of several Python books.

David Reed dreedmac at columbus.rr.com
Thu Feb 9 16:21:51 EST 2006

On Feb 9, 2006, at 3:59 PM, James Stroud wrote:

> Magnus Lycka wrote:
>> Programming Python, 3rd edition
>> by Mark Lutz (Paperback - July 2006)
>>
>> Never a favourite of mine really, but a popular book...
>
> This one is like broccoli. Its good for you but it doesn't have
> much flavor.
> --

I found the Learning Python book (that Lutz is a co-author of) a much
better book for someone who knows another language and wants to learn
Python. The Programming Python has lots of examples, but I found it
difficult to "look things up".

The three books I would recommend for someone (who already knows
another language) wanting to learn Python are:

Learning Python
Python Essential Reference
Python Cookbook

Dave