spaces at ends of filenames or directory names on Win32

Larry Bates larry.bates at websafe.com
Thu Feb 23 18:49:31 EST 2006

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:30:22 -0600, Larry Bates wrote:
>
>> How about not naming files with leading and trailing spaces on
>> the Mac?  Seems like a bad habit that needs breaking ;-).
>
> Why is it a bad habit? Because *Windows* is primitive enough that it can't
> cope with leading and trailing spaces? I don't see why Windows' lack is
> Mac users' problem.

It is a problem because the poster says it is a problem for him.
If they want to leave the files on a Mac, there is no problem.

IMHO leading and/or trailing spaces in filenames is asking for
incompatibilities with cross-platform file access.  Much like
using single-quote in filenames which are perfectly legal in
DOS/Windows, but Linux doesn't like much.

-Larry Bates