Compiling

Ravi Teja webraviteja at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 01:58:23 EST 2006

> So while it would be possible to apply the same strategy to
> Python, it likely wouldn't gain any performance increase over
> the interpreter.

Thanks,
That was quite illustrative. But as I posted elsewhere, I am looking at
the other advantages of native compilation rather than speed. Python's
ability to interface with C code is quite good and I am happy to simply
do the performance critical parts in it although I rarely end up
needing to do that. But more often I am looking to use Python libraries
in other languages since I am more familiar with them and they
typically tend to be more high level (the way I like it) than the
standard libraries of others.

Perhaps someone already has a tool that simplifies / automates creating
DLLs that embed and export Python functions as C prototypes. This was
discussed in Pyrex mailing list a while ago.