Learning Python

Xavier Morel xavier.morel at masklinn.net
Sun Feb 5 11:18:38 EST 2006

Byte wrote:
> x = input(raw_input("Please enter your name: "))
> if x==myself: print 'OK'
>
> It kinda works - I can get to the please enter your name bit but then
> it simply reprints your input as output. Someone please HELP!

-->
C:\>python
Python 2.4.1 (#65, Mar 30 2005, 09:13:57) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on
win32
 >>> help(input)
Help on built-in function input in module __builtin__:

input(...)
     input([prompt]) -> value

     Equivalent to eval(raw_input(prompt)).

 >>> help(raw_input)
Help on built-in function raw_input in module __builtin__:

raw_input(...)
     raw_input([prompt]) -> string

     Read a string from standard input.  The trailing newline is stripped.
     If the user hits EOF (Unix: Ctl-D, Windows: Ctl-Z+Return), raise
EOFError.
     On Unix, GNU readline is used if enabled.  The prompt string, if given,
     is printed without a trailing newline before reading.
<--

Where the hell did you get the idea of stacking input on a raw_input in
the first place?