Too Many if Statements?

slogging_away hinnc at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 10 09:50:25 EST 2006

Magnus Lycka wrote:

> What happens if you run it from the command line instead
> of IDLE? After all, it might be some problem in IDLE involved
> here. Even if it doesn't work correctly outside IDLE, I was
> thinking that IDLE might swallow some kind of error message.

Excellent suggestion, (behold the power of the command line!).  I ran
two saved versions of the script that had produced the symptom
originally described.  The fist seemed to be caused by too many 'if'
statements, the second by adding another array, but both came up with
the same system error at the command prompt level shown here:

SystemError: com_backpatch: offset too large

This error is not produced with the IDLE console but is seen only when
executing from the command line.  I'll search around and see if I can
determine what this means and a possible fix.  Thanks for the
suggestion!