Compiling

Ravi Teja webraviteja at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 09:21:46 EST 2006

>> For short : this was kind of a joke... I understand that what you were
looking for is a 'native code' compiler. AFAIK, this could of course be
done, but due to Python's very dynamic nature, it's not sure this would
lead to drastically better performances.

This is a standard response to a rather frequent question here. But I
am not sure I ever understood. Scheme / Lisp are about as dynamic as
Python. Yet they have quite efficient native compilers. Ex: Bigloo
Scheme.

Another standard response is "nobody felt the need or got around to
it". And yet a number of Lisp and Scheme compilers exist when these
languages have a much smaller user base. Am I missing something here?