fairly large webapp: from Java to Python. experiences?

Scott David Daniels scott.daniels at acm.org
Sat Feb 4 06:15:29 EST 2006

John M. Gabriele wrote:
> brianhray at gmail.com wrote:
>> But once it is
>> there, Python is a good choice for web apps. Java is slow
>
> Slow? They're both dynamic languages, but Java is statically
> typed (with less work to do at runtime). For long-running processes,
> I'd guess that Java bytecode executes faster than Python bytecode.

Well, perhaps yes, but not so if you count the fact that recoding
is so easy that you can race several implementations of the same
thing to see which trade-offs work.  Java may run the one algorithm
you decide to write faster than Python will run the same thing,
but in Python you may race five algorithms and keep the fastest.
Using programmer resources effectively is Python's secret sauce.

--Scott David Daniels
scott.daniels at acm.org