file names longer than MAX_PATH under Windows 2003

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Tue Feb 14 07:00:38 EST 2006

[Sergey]

| "Tim Golden" <tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk> wrote in
| message news:mailman.1895.1139917457.27775.python-list at python.org...
| [Sergey]
|
| >But note that r prefix to the string. Is it possible
| >that your string didn't include it? If not, then the
| >backslash character which Windows uses as a separator
| >can be stolen by Python which sees it as an escaping
| >character.
|
| It's ok with backslashes, I don't use r'', but double them so
| string is correct:

Not to state the obvious, but can you cut-and-paste that long
string (the one starting with \\?\e:\...) from the Python
interpreter into the [S]tart [R]un [O]pen field to see what
comes up? I'm just trying to make sure of the most straightforward
fact: that the file you've got there definitely does exist!

TJG

http://www.star.net.uk