What are COM-enabled applications?

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Wed Feb 22 10:08:03 EST 2006

In article <1140580133.293283.322870 at f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Tempo <bradfordh at gmail.com> wrote:
>As the subject of this post suggests, I have one question; what are
>COM-enabled applications? I believe Microsoft Word is one of these
>apps, but what else? Is a web browser, Paint, Solitare, games, etc? I'm
>not sure if it varies from operating system to operating system, but I
>am talking about COM applications in Windows. Thanks for any and all of
>your help and time.

As Mr. Teja has already written in response, COM is a big, and
in some ways dated, subject.  To answer your specific questions:
yes, most Web browsers I know for Windows *are* COM-enabled,
Solitaire typically isn't, and I'm not near a Win* machine now
to confirm that Paint is.

Python has good COM abilities.  While, to my surprise, I just
realized that I'm unaware of anyone having put together a COM
"explorer" with Python, it would be a straightforward project.
In the meantime, <URL:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ActivePython/2.3/PyWin32/html/com/win32com/HTML/QuickStartClientCom.html#UsingComConstants >
might interest you.