fairly large webapp: from Java to Python. experiences?

George Sakkis gsakkis at rutgers.edu
Tue Feb 7 01:50:08 EST 2006

> Any tips, stories, recommendations, and/or experiences are most
> welcome.

Just one suggestion, read the article "Things You Should Never Do, Part
I" first (
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html). Quoting
from the article:

(Netscape made) "the *single worst strategic mistake* that any software
company can make: They decided to rewrite the code from scratch."

As much as I find python more maintenable and fun to work with in the
long run, I would be *very hesitant* to start a complete rewrite,
especially given the insufficient documentation of your webapp and your
lack of experience with a pythonic web framework.

George